We have all heard that it is important to read to your children. As Community Partners with the Read Aloud 15 Minutes Program, we teach Parents to read aloud to their children (ages Birth to 8 years of age) for a minimum of 15 minutes every day. In addition to reading to children daily, Parents can also create a Literacy-Friendly Environment that will help encourage a rich, learning environment at home. Gone are the days of waiting for a child to learn at school. Parents are learning that it is important to create an environment at home that promotes learning and an expectation of success.
1. Make sure your child has at least one alphabet book (e.g., Dr. Seuss’s ABC book).
Recently, I found some great, inexpensive alphabet books at a dollar store.
2. Make sure your child has magnetized letters.
These fun letters can be purchased from dollar stores, Target, Walmart, CVS , etc.
3. Make sure your child has crayons and pencils…with plenty of paper.
4. Make sure your child has a quiet and clean spot (cleared surface area) for writing and coloring (desk or the dinner table).
5. Read picture books to your child from Birth.
6. Make sure your child has at least 20 picture books.
7. Make sure your child has flash cards with alphabet and vocabulary words and pictures.
8. Make sure your child sees you reading.
9. Make sure you enjoy the reading time with your child.
Create a lasting memory and enjoy the time…with a smile! Remember to smile 🙂
10. Let your child pick the story and take turns “telling the story.”
It is absolutely okay for children to make up their own story as they are reading the pictures. Encourage your child and tell them that you love it when they read.
This Summer, take the challenge and invest in your Child’s future success!
For a full checklist, go to:
Also available in Spanish: